In our wind power simulations, we use a number of different approaches, from fast k-epsilon simulations up to full-fledged, large scale LES, optionally including synthetic inlet gusts.
Apart from greenfield installations, we are happy to cover repowering situations, including wake effects. We are equally happy to work with alternative and small-scale wind turbines - in fact, one of our specialties are turbines in complex flow situations, e.g. on top of or in between buildings, in the vicinity of trees, and so on.
What you get:
- We support massive, large scale (several square km) LES simulations with high resolutions (down to below 0.5 meters).
- Full terrain support, also in challenging positions, for example on top of cliffs or in mountainous areas.
- Wake interaction effects included via different models.
- Vegetation can be simulated fully resolved (not only as roughness value) and we can differentiate between winter / summer foliage in climate regions where this applies.
- Wake turbulence effect range to assess ecological influence on e.g. migratory bird and bat flying routes.
Have a more detailed look at our work in our articles about resolved LES wind turbine simulation and wind park site assessment calculations.
In addition to local wind turbine placement, we also do more general assessments over larger areas (hundreds of square kilometers), where we look at historic wind data, terrain parameters and the turbine type you have in mind, to give you an estimate of the expected performance. We also include the variability of the wind as an important factor, since a number of locations see longer periods without wind in certain months.
Whatever your particular project looks like - if you are interested to know more about the placement of your turbine(s), drop us few lines. We’ll get back to you right away!